MMC has won a Social Media Icon Award for its, Season of the #Whiff campaign for Head & Shoulders in the Twitter/PR Campaign category. Head & Shoulders, which won a Big Apple award last week for New Media/Social Media for this campaign, worked with 30 MLB clubs to take ownership of the strikeout conversation all summer long, linking its new scent-based product, Head & Shoulders with Old Spice, with America’s favorite pastime. The campaign netted over 2 billion Twitter impressions, 1+ billion media impressions and increased brand loyalty.
The Social Media Icon Awards honor programs that “took chances, made incredible strides and understand the power of social media in public relations.”
MMC CEO Marina Maher will discuss “How a Cause Changed a Company” on Friday, June 6th at S.H.E. Summit, an annual conference dedicated to empowering women to thrive in work and in life. Maher will be joined on the panel by Christen Brandt, co-founder of She’s the First, the agency’s cause partner, which educates girls in the developing world, helping them be the first in their families to graduate from secondary school. Kathleen Griffith, Managing Director of mcgarrybowen, will moderate the panel.
In celebration of the agency’s 30th anniversary last year, MMC staff proposed a fundraising competition in partnership with She’s the First to fund the education of 30 girls in Uganda. The staffer who raised the most would win a trip (travel expenses and time off) to Uganda for two weeks to teach, mentor, and learn from the girls the agency supported. Seven MMCers took up the challenge, but everyone at MMC contributed in some way, whether it was attending a fundraising event, mentoring the participants, bidding on swag at an auction or just handing over $50. The cause united MMC-ers into a community, which began to view each fundraising event in the context of how many girls’ educations were funded vs. how much money was raised.
MMC surpassed its fundraising goal by almost 50 percent, raising more than $25,000 and funding 43 educations. The agency was honored with a Silver SABRE for PR Agency Citizenship for the program.
Maher and Brandt will discuss The benefits to both companies and employees of cause partnerships that reflect employees’ passion, which include enhancing company morale, providing real-life examples of agency culture and developing important on-the-job skills for employees.
For more information about S.H.E. Summit, click here.
Last night two MMC campaigns won Big Apple Awards in the New Media/Social Media categories. A third campaign won Honorable Mention in the Marketing, Consumer Products category.
- MMC’s campaign for Head & Shoulders, called Season of the #Whiff, netted over 2 billion Twitter impressions, 1+ billion media impressions and increased brand loyalty for new Head & Shoulders with Old Spice. Head & Shoulders worked with 30 MLB clubs to take ownership of the strikeout conversation all summer long, linking its new scent-based product with America’s favorite pastime.
- MMC also won an award in the New Media/Social Media category for programs under $100,000 for its #FearlessNyad campaign for Secret deodorant. Secret partnered with Diana Nyad when she made her epic Cuba-to-Florida swim last summer, encouraging her to be fearless by tweeting in real time with #FearlessNyad, resulting in 23 million overall impressions and 4 million organic @secretdeodorant impressions. Engagement was more than three times the average for Twitter and _just three Facebook posts reached 534,000 fans.
- U by Kotex won Honorable Mention for Marketing Consumer Products. U by Kotex, a feminine care product line dedicated to challenging accepted norms, created Generation Know – a new generation of young women armed with the facts about their bodies and comfortable with their periods and vaginal health. MMC and U by Kotex encouraged hundreds of thousands of women to get and share facts about vaginal health, learn from experts and participate in projects designed to create social change. In turn, women showed their support for U by Kotex where it really counts…at the cash register! Positive brand sentiment also rose 200% and there was a 186% increase in web traffic as a result of this integrated campaign.
Image Courtesy of U by Kotex
Millions of pairs of undies are casualties to failed period protection every month. To help fight senseless underwear loss, U by Kotex has introduced 3D Capture Core to all its ultra thin pads to help stop leaks.
To showcase new 3D Capture Core, MMC and U by Kotex hosted a media event at a top lingerie boutique in SoHo. A U by Kotex representative explained how 3D Capture Core works and the store’s lead merchandiser shared underwear care tips and tricks. Media stopped by a nearby U by Kotex Undies Activist event, where U by Kotex brand ambassadors encouraged women to Save the Undies by educating them about the new 3D Capture Core technology.
Read more about U by Kotex brand’s mission to Save the Undies on MediaPost Marketing Daily and see some great social posts from the launch event here: Honestly Jamie, Entertainista, and Cosmo for Latinas. You can also check more of the online buzz with the hashtag #SaveTheUndies and visit www.ubykotex.com/save-the-undies for more information.
MMC and Ketchum were awarded with a Bronze Anvil Award of Commendation for work supporting P&G’s sponsorship at the Winter Olympics: The award submission, How We Made P&G the Most Talked About Olympic Sponsor 101 Days Before the Athletes Arrived in Sochi, was for the pre-Olympics awareness building.
Bronze Anvils, which annually recognize and honor the very best public relations tactics executed each year. This year’s competition drew a total of 734 entries. Of those, only 90 organizations were selected by the Bronze Anvil Judges as Bronze Anvil Award of Commendation winners.
From Hong Kong to Kauai, MMCers are traveling all around the globe this summer. We asked MMCers to share their travel plans with us and pinned them onto an MMC Summer Travel Pinterest Board! If you’re looking for a quick weekend getaway or exotic big trip, we have plenty of destinations that will make you want to pack your bags or sneak into MMCers’ suitcases. Do you have the travel bug? Tell us where you are headed this summer.
Last night MMC won three awards at the annual SABRE Awards ceremony. Two Gold SABREs were on behalf of clients Kimberly-Clark for U by Kotex and Procter & Gamble for Head & Shoulders. The agency won a Silver SABRE for a cause related program the agency took on last year to celebrate its 30th anniversary. The award details are below.
- Silver SABRE for PR Agency Citizenship: MMC Mobilizes the Agency to Help She’s the First Change the World…One Girl at a Time is about MMC’s MMC4aCause program last year. The cause united MMC-ers into a community, and raised enough money to sponsor 43 educations for girls in Uganda. The initiatives provided real-life examples of agency culture to new hires and contestants learned important on-the-job skills. The program is being used in recruiting and has raised MMC’s profile.
- Gold SABRE in Marketing to Youth: U by Kotex and Generation Know: Creating a Movement of Young Women to Spread the Word About Vaginal Health is a program designed to end the cycle of misinformation about vaginal health by inspiring young women to join Generation Know – a new generation of young women armed with the facts about their bodies and comfortable with their periods and vaginal health. MMC and U by Kotex encouraged hundreds of thousands of women to get and share the facts, learn from experts and participate in projects designed to create social change. In turn, women showed their support for U by Kotex where it really counts…at the cash register!
- Gold SABRE in Fashion & Beauty: Head & Shoulders Season of the #Whiff: was created to launch Head & Shoulders’ new shampoo scented with Old Spice. Launched at the start of last year’s baseball season, where media predicted an MLB-wide season of strikeouts, the team seized a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to leverage “whiffs,” which means both scent and strikeouts, and developed the “Season of the #Whiff” word-of-mouth campaign that linked its new scent-based product with America’s favorite pastime. Season of the #Whiff” not only got the brand’s target to link their love of baseball to Head & Shoulders, but also produced unprecedented results, including record-breaking social engagement and sales above forecast for the Old Spice extension. All 30 MLB clubs participated in the campaign, and there were more than 2 billion Twitter impressions for the #whiff hashtag as well as over a billion media impressions.
Congratulations to all who made these programs a success!