Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn
While Manhattan is great, I’m more of an “outer-borough girl.” I’ve lived all over NY but am happy to call Brooklyn my “home sweet home.” While I could go on and on about its restaurants, parks, bars and overall culture, I think what I like most are the creative people. As our Borough President, Marty Markowitz likes to say, Brooklyn is “Home to everyone from everywhere!” No truer words could be spoken!
Brooklyn is New York’s most populous borough, with more than 2.5 million residents, including artists, writers, musicians and budding fashionistas. With so many inhabitants, it’s no surprise that Brooklyn has a thriving online community with thousands of bloggers who share their stories each day, making the community more intimate. There’s even a Brooklyn BlogFest (celebrating its fifth anniversary this June) where local influencers will get together to kibitz and share their inspiration.
As a member of MMC’s Social Media Team, I feel it’s only fitting to open your eyes to some of my favorite local sites. Be sure to check them out and plan to visit Brooklyn for something other than the Hot Dog Eating Contest…
LaurieShuls’ Brooklyn Blogroll:
- BrokeLyn – A site for “bargain obsessives, stoop-sale sartorialists and wallet-aware foodies” living in Brooklyn.
- Brooklyn Bride – Because one day I’d like to be a bride instead of a bridesmaid. This site is focused on the modern day wedding and is recognized as a top bridal blog in the industry (even outside of Brooklyn)!
- Brooklyn Vegan – NYC-focused music blog, believe it or not.
- Brownstoner – A Brooklyn real estate blog. And yes, I know what you were thinking!
- Eat It: The Brooklyn Food Blog – With all these restaurants, someone needed to get things organized!
- F’ed in Park Slope – Self-described blog about a “pretty, gentrified, know-it-all neighborhood in Brooklyn.” Routinely makes fun of wannabe-hipsters and the Park Slope Food Coop.
- Fabulous in Park Slope – Park Slope is sometimes referred to as “stroller city,” so I had to include a site written by a stylish mom!
- Filming in Brooklyn – Did you know that many of your favorite films and TV shows have been (at least partially) filmed in Brooklyn? My current favorite: HBO’s Bored to Death, and yes, Zach Galfanakis (AKA, the chubby guy from The Hangover) was spotted in front of my house.
- For the Love of Brooklyn – A visually-delicious photoblog of all things Kings County.
- Hey Brooklyn – A weekly podcast that features interviews with creative people living and working in Brooklyn (think this post will score me a spot on the site, ha)!
- Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn – Hyperlocal news for Brooklynites. A great resource for arts & entertainment in the area (keeps me “on-trend”).