Did you know infographic searches have increased more than 800% in the last two years? If you’re exploring ways to incorporate an infographic in your upcoming marketing plans, check out the tips below from national media including CNN Money, Associated Press, Mashable, and Huffington Post discussed at a recent Publicity Club of New York panel.
- DON’T create an infographic for the sake of it. An infographic should communicate a story, not just a visualization – and it should be newsworthy!
- DO know your targets before creating the infographic. While many smaller sites might be interested in infographics, bigger websites (like those on the panel) will rarely take an infographic sent to them and widely distribute it. DO consider partnering with one of these big sites to co-create an infographic.
- DO make sure your data set is credible.
- DO approach your infographic with a “sharability” perspective in mind – would you want to pass it on to your network?
- DON’T make your infographic overly branded, but DO be transparent about the source or sponsor.
- DO think about an important news milestone or event in time to tie to your infographic.
What are some of the most compelling infographics you’ve come across? Share your thoughts in the comments below.